Holistic management and Climate Smart Agriculture in Ethiopia
- Project implementer: Mendel University in Brno
- Donor: Czech Development Cooperation
- Implementation period: 2016 - 2018
- Holistic Solutions Ltd participation: June - December 2018
Goal of the project
To implement a holistic management of natural resources and introduce the principles of "climate smart agriculture" in the Baso River basin.
The objective of the project is to improve the land use planning and the implementation of natural resources management in the Baso river basin. The project will follow this objective by awareness rising of the communities, training of experts and local authorities and rehabilitation of demonstration areas.
1. Creation of land plan which will design a management of natural resources in the Baso river basin.
2. Raised awareness of multi-sector holistic management of natural resources.
3. Establishment of permaculture education centre with demonstration agricultural plots.
4. The community trained and educated on holistic management will follow its principles.
5. An area of approximately 20 ha rehabilitated by local community as an example for expansion into whole basin.
Target Group and Beneficiaries
The direct target group of this project consists of development agents of the district agricultural and zoning office, farmers in the Baso river basin, AMZW local population, local community facilitators, and farmers living in the two kebeles that will benefit from the land rehabilitation. The direct target group consists of approximately 3300 households (20 000 people).
The indirect target group consists of approximately 25 000 households (150 000 people)
and includes farmers managing the eroded slopes as well as farmers from other regions of AMZW. This group consists of approximately 25 000 households and 150 000 people.
The final beneficiaries will be the rural population of AMZW living and farming in the Baso river basin areas directly at risk from erosion. Another beneficiary will be AMZW WARDO which will receive a permaculture agricultural learning centre.
"The Minister of Agriculture of Ethiopia declared our project a center of excellence.“
The holistic team cooperates in creating environmental and building plans that are implemented within the permaculture garden and counter-erosion work in eroded hills.